- Maths Curriculum Topic Overview (327.98KB)
- Maths Curriculum Skills Progression (451.60KB)
- Calculation Policy (3.13MB)
Our Maths curriculum
At All Saints Primary School, all our pupils are given the opportunity to develop their mathematical potential through a rich, engaging curriculum. We present maths as a visual, multidimensional and cross-curricular subject, using modelling, manipulatives, visuals and motion. We expect children to draw diagrams and use concrete resources to help them to interpret problems; we encourage them to discuss, reason and prove when solving problems. We have a shared vision and know that skills such as asking good questions, helping others, using different representations, rephrasing problems, explaining ideas, being logical, justifying methods or bringing a different perspective to a problem are highly valued and give all our pupils opportunities to succeed and feel good about maths.
Our Maths curriculum provides a consistency of pedagogical approach from Reception to Year 6, with carefully designed steps of learning and progression of skills and content. Key features of daily lessons include:
- CPA approach (Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract)
- Rich mathematical talk and logical reasoning (speaking frames help children articulate and develop language for explaining mathematical thinking)
- Maths games (learning is enjoyable, collaborative and meaningful)
- Destination questions and buffer zones for each sequence (allowing teachers to know that children have mastered a concept before moving on).
As a result, our pupils:
- Enjoy the subject and study it with increasing fascination, assurance and a sense of achievement
- Make connections between the different areas in the programme of study to develop fluency and mathematical reasoning when solving problems
- Develop a growth mind-set, take risks and learn from mistakes
- Know multiple strategies and are discerning about which to use depending on the context
- Are equipped with the knowledge, skills and understanding they will require in future study and adult life.